Jill and Brad talk about what’s coming up this episode, what makes them laugh, and why Brad feels compelled to mispronounce each and every guest’s name that they have ever had on the show. They giggle at each other a lot and most definitely want to make sure that you’ve gotten your copy of their incredible e-book! Get it here.
Rant of the Day:
A guest scheduled to appear on this episode canceled at the last minute because:
- “I thought my appearance would be as an additional resources versus seeking advice. I don’t believe this will work [for my brand] synergistically and I will have to cancel my appearance this week.” You can guess how Brad & Jill went to town on this kind of thinking and why, synergistically, it doesn’t work for them.
iTunes Commenter of the Week: Andy Crestodina
“I’ve gotten some truly great insights from this podcast. There’s real business wisdom in every episode, I’ve even found myself jotting down notes!” We heart you too, Andy.
Top 5 Ways to Use Humor At Work
Jill and Brad discuss the top ways to laugh a little more in, around and far away from the water cooler. You can always hire by horoscope, although the long-term implications have not yet been analyzed by the FDA. You can try some improvisational brainstorming, wear more party hats, get more ridiculous in your emails or laugh more out loud. Really: Try it. Right now. Start by giggling…and then when you feel really stupid, giggle a little louder. When you get to full belly laugh, stare at your colleagues real hard between the eyes. Point at them and then shout-laugh so they get scared. Works every time. Have any tips of your own that they missed? Call Jill & Brad at 708.872.7878 and let them know.
Patrice Turner is the beautiful founder of Book Coach 101, a service where she helps business professionals become authors and publish for themselves, not by themselves, and offers Writer’s Cohorts to bring budding and professional authors together. Find her on Facebook, Twitter and on LinkedIn.
Tool of the Week:
- LetMeGoogleThatForYou.com – Nothin’ to ‘splain here, Lucy. You just have to try it. Think about the last thing that someone, maybe named Mervin, asked you. Type that into this website, and voila! Send the resulting link to Mervin. He deserves it.
Brought to you by The Founding Moms Conference. Take a selfie while you’re listening to the Breaking Down Your Business podcast, post it to Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #JillnBrad, and you could win a Full Conference Pass to the conference! Jill’s organization, The Founding Moms, is hosting it in Chicago on Monday, October 6 where amazing speakers, inspiring attendees, delicious food and bands will gather together! Bands, we say! (Or, get your tickets here.)
- EnMast.com is a small business owner community that offers members a supportive community and mass resource to help owners. Like getting paid? You have to go get the Pricing Kit that will help you learn how to raise your prices, when to do it, how to tell your clients to do it, and will get you to…wait for it…raise your prices! Go get it here! HERE!
Resources mentioned in the podcast:
- Word Crimes – The latest song and video by “Weird Al” Yankovic. It’s pretty funny.
- Bill Cosby – Funny.
- Jim Gaffigan – Funny.
- Google Hangout Party Hats – Here’s a comprehensive-ish guide to how to get your party hat on during a Google Hangout.
- SquarePlanet – Not only do they send out the best emails, but this fantastic presentations and strategy firm takes pirate pictures of visitors to their office.
- The Predictors – Brad recommends this great read about the challenges of personalities on a team changing over the course of time as companies make more money.
- Nutmeg – the app we talked about in our last episode that you should be using to send gifs to people by text. Super easy, super awesome.
- Chicago Writer’s Conference – Mare Swallow runs a great, great event for writers! Go words!
What are some of the ways that you use humor at work? Did Brad and Jill miss anything? Let us know! Leave us a Google Voicemail so that we can read it in a future episode at 708.872.7878. Or tweet at us using hashtag #jillnbrad. And leave us a review on iTunes — pretty please? Over here.