- Jill and Brad talk about what it’s like running a business… and a family.
- Wendy Widom founder of Bedroom Chemist, a company that helps you “create better intimacy, delivered to your door.” She’s also the founder of Families in the Loop. Find her on Twitter and Google+.
Top 5 things I hate about having employees do that drive you nuts:
- Brad and Jill talk about the most annoying things that employees do.
- Jimmy Odom is the founder of We Deliver, a customer delivery service for businesses. They help businesses say “goodbye” to complicated shipping and say “hello” to happy customer with same-day delivery. Find him on Twitter and Google+.
Tool of the Week:
- CardMunch. This app takes a picture of business cards and it finds them on LinkedIn for you.
- EnMast.com, a small business owner community that offers members a supportive community and mass resource to help owners
- The Founding Moms, a collective of offline meetups and online resources where mom entrepreneurs can exchange, connect and learn from one another.
Resources mentioned in the podcast:
- Mailbox App. This is Jimmy Odom’s favorite app — you can “swing back” emails where it’ll remind you to email someone back later with just a swipe of your finger.
- Pippity. A WordPress pop-up plugin that helps you increase your newsletter
5 things employees do that I hate
Having employees is great! They do the work that we can’t do ourselves, and having employees means our business is growing, too! But having employees can also suck. This week’s podcast focuses on employees and what about them drives Brad (and other business owners) nuts.
5. When they leave early
I can’t stand when I come back from a meeting and everyone’s done. I’m not one to check time, and all about flexible work hours, but it makes me worry about where else they’re cutting corners.
4. When they wait around for an assignment
You know when you have employees who wait around to be told what to do? I can’t stand that! I need employees who can be proactive and get things done with out me hand-holding them on what they should be doing.
3. When they create drama
When I hear all the “he said, she said” and “he hurt my feelings” stuff, my eyes glaze over. Work is not the place for drama! Talk to each other like grown ups — I’m not your parent or babysitter.
2. When they give me THEIR problems
When an employee comes to me who has a problem their working on and bring it to me to fix and it’s their job to fix it (that’s what I pay them to do!) that drives me insane. Sure, if they’ve made a honest try with trying to find solutions, I’m happy to help. But I’m not here to do their job.
1. When they do a mediocre job
Either be great, or be terrible. Don’t be an employee in between that does “almost good enough.” I can’t stand that! If you’re terrible, I’ll fire you. If you’re great, I’ll love you. But doing just a enough to get by and coast your way through your job is not what I hired you for.
What are some of the things your employees do that you can’t stand? What do your employees do that you hate?