What’s In This Episode:
The times are changing… but are they really? Brad’s annoyed because he had to renew his passport, which involved printing out photos to mail them in, the photos had to be specific dimensions, and he just wants it to be done in a modern way. Is that too much to ask?
“We’re doing things differently than we were five years ago. If your business hasn’t changed, it’s broken.” – Brad
Tracey Suppo, CEO and co-founder of Book+Main, is a lifelong lover of romance novels. She began a blog a few years ago, which turned into a Facebook group, which turned into her current company, which pairs authors and readers (want to find a romance novel that revolves around an angsty fireman? Tracey can help you).
Her platform launched in November and has about 30,000 members and 2,800 authors but she wants to be able to reach every romance reader on the planet. She’s got a good relationship with authors from her blogging days, so that’s working for her. She really would love to figure out how to get into local romance book clubs. Brad suggests Tracey use Reddit as a way to promote – find an author to do an AMA and Book+Main to sponsor. Jill thinks that Book+Main could be using their readers to evangelize the service that Book+Main offers. There also might be an opportunity to create more viral content (use author lunches and post them on YouTube, organize Meetups, etc) so that readers can share in the experience.
“It’s so insulting to get a link.” – Jill
Jill and Brad then discuss the top 5 things you need to do differently NOW:
- Send a link to your invoices or use apps – no more printing and mailing or PDF attachments.
- Jill and Brad disagree on this, but stop sending emails back and forth to schedule and use an app.
- Hiring: Resumes lie. Use a Google Form and get the answers you want to know.
- Your website. Revamp it! Make it work for you.
- Think about this last one consciously…
Want to know what it is? Listen in!»
- Tracey Suppo is the CEO and co-founder of Book+Main, a fresh, exciting way to connect you to the authors you love and their words. A content-based social media community that lets you follow your favorite authors and discover new ones—every single day. From debut authors to #1 New York Times bestsellers, Book+Main Bites is where the book world comes to connect.
Talk to us! Leave us a Google Voicemail or text us with your burning business question so that we can read it in a future episode at 708.872.7878. Or tweet at us using hashtag #jillnbrad. And leave us a review on iTunes — pretty please? Over here!