What’s In This Episode:
Jill and Brad love reviews – and they got one! One listener says, “Love the energy on the show and the fun hosts like to have with guests!” (Want to leave your own review? Go here.)
Brad thinks the whole hiring process is a bit broken. He describes a client who has had negative reviews on Glassdoor (think of it like Yelp for employers), and how people are Googling the company – which is how they find the Glassdoor reviews. Brad doesn’t understand why companies aren’t Googling candidates in turn, as a way to use all the information available.
“You know what this is? This is taking your shoes off at the airport.” – Jill
Iain MacLeod, author of Fatherhood, has a peculiar problem: Iain MacLeod isn’t his real name. He wrote the book under a pseudonym at the request of his wife, but he also has a separate marketing company under his real name. And now, he’s trying to promote both. What does he do?
Jill’s take is that people don’t really care, and suggests that it’s worth having a conversation with his wife again. It would probably be a bit freeing. If he has to keep the two names separate, then maybe he just accepts his other name as his stage name.
“Resumes are dead.” – Brad
Jill and Brad then discuss the top 5 ways recruiting needs to change:
- Never ask for a resume ever again. Look at LinkedIn.
- Do a phone screen or video chat and save yourself a lot of trouble.
- Put the salary in the job posting.
- Interviews should not be adversarial hazing rituals. Be likable.
- And you need to put effort into this one…
Want to know what it is? Listen in!»
- Iain MacLeod is the author of Fatherhood. He blogs about his adventures in Australia with his family at Love Pirates Hate Cats.
Talk to us! Leave us a Google Voicemail or text us with your burning business question so that we can read it in a future episode at 708.872.7878. Or tweet at us using hashtag #jillnbrad. And leave us a review on iTunes — pretty please? Over here!